Saturday, August 17, 2019

August 15th Sermon for the Assumption: The Memorare Prayer (Father Ryan Erlenbush, Corpus Christi Parish)

The Dogma of the Assumption states that Mary was assumed body and soul into the glory of heaven. She was preserved from corruption after her death while her body lay in the tomb for some days, then she was raised to life and taken up to heaven.

However, Mary does not abandon us, but remains ever our good mother. Her care and protection remain always with us.  We think of this especially in the beautiful prayer, the Memorare. "Remember, o most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee oh Virgin of virgins, my Mother! To thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, answer me. Amen."

This prayer which, even if perhaps not composed by St Bernard of Clairvaux certainly captures the spirit of his devotion to the Mother of God, has been influential in the life of St Francis de Sales and so many other saints. I too know the value of this prayer in my own life.  Say it often, every day, and many times each day!




Listen online [here]!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

When commenting, please leave a name or pseudonym at the end of your comment so as to facilitate communication and responses.

Comments must be approved by the moderator before being published.